Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:38:44 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>, "Stuart Morse" <sturu@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sharing disks between Win32 and FreeBSD

>> It would be nice to be able to generate my object
> > code directly to the FreeBSD machine using a shared disk. Does
> > FreeBSD support NETBUI, or should I use NFS? What are some of the
> > pros and cons?

NFS and NetBEUI are not the same type of protocol.  NetBEUI is a
non-routable _transport_ protocol like TCP/IP (except tcp/ip is routable).
NFS is an application layer protocol like FTP, HTTP, etc.  The term you're
looking for is probably NetBIOS, which many people confuse with NetBEUI.
Rather than either of those just say SMB (or CIFS) which is the NFS-like
(Don't quote me on that) protocol that Microsoft uses for their file and
printer sharing.  FreeBSD has a Samba port.  Samba is NetBIOS over SMB over
TCP/IP.  So, yes, FreeBSD can serve files to Windows computers using TCP/IP
(not NetBEUI).  In order to connect FreeBSD to your Windows shares you need
to use Samba's smbclient, which is kind of like a *nix ftp client, or you
can use the beta version of the SMBFS KLD module to mount Windows shares to
your filesystem (bless the guy who wrote it.  if I ever meet him, I will buy
him all the beer he can handle.)  It's remarkably stable for a beta.  I will
admit, I use it on a production box :)