Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:17:23 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   starting vinum subdisk

Hello,

I have a vinum one-plex two-subdisks striped volume. One bad block
occurred on one of the drives. After reassigning it from SCSI BIOS I had
the whole plex 'corrupt', one of its subdisks 'up' and another one
'stale'. I have tried to 'start' the latter one, but this command hung,
and 'stale' switched to 'R 0%'.

Is it possible to make the second subdisk 'up' somehow? Since the only bad
block has occurred almost all information there is accessible. I hope fsck
is able to revive the filesystem if the bad block resides in the data
area. If bad block resides in the vinum configuration area, maybe it is
possible to restore the second disk using configuration information from
the first one -- (both subdisks have equal sizes)? Unless it is not
possible with conventional methods, maybe it is possible to do it via
direct editing?

Please cc: me your reply.

Thanks,
Alex