Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:22:03 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Aaron Hill <hillaa@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on PPPoE & ADSL (Telstra Bigpond)

Julian Elischer wrote:

> no chance of adding a netgraph interface?

Sure there's a chance - if I get some free time...  ;-)
But I'm not at all familiar with netgraph.  I've never used it.
What advantage would there be to adding it?  (and can you point me
to a sample driver that would show me what needs to be done?)

> ok ok so you already do pppoe but do you do multiple pppoe sessions with
> ability to be a pppoe server? (which netgraph does.)

No, I don't support multiple pppoe sessions.  This card is geared to be
used on a client on an ADSL line, where the downstream rate is much
higher than the upstream - in other words much better at downloading
than serving. :)  And most DSL providers tend to get upset if you run
a server from a residential service...  :-)   Most businesses use SDSL -
symmetric DSL, which this card doesn't support.

The other thing is that in order to support the PPP flavors of DSL (RFC2364),
we have to load a sync PPP module.  I used the syncppp.c code from FreeBSD,
but it wasn't quite usable as-is so I had to tweak it.  Of course that
module is only providing PPP, not PPPoE - the DSL driver itself does the
PPPoE negotiations before letting the PPP go through.  Then it just adds/
subtracts the PPPoE wrapper on the frames (when in PPPoE mode).

Given this framework (ppp0 interface -> ltdsl driver), would netgraph
fit in?  Would the sync PPP code also have to be modified to use
netgraph?   In the other flavors of DSL (RFC1483), the DSL card appears
as an ethernet device to the system.  As you may be able to tell, without
knowing what netgraph really does I'm a little bit at a loss as to how/why
to use it...  But if it's relatively easy to add support for netgraph, and
it has some advantages for the user, then I'm willing to give it a shot...

Thanks,
Gary