Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:44:25 -0500
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone tried KDE 3.1?

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

On  0, Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> wrote:
> It's ready to go when 3.1 is released.  The changelog is already on the K=
DE=20
> website, so there's little point repeating it here :)

nice! i'm pretty excited for 3.1, prolly more so than fbsd 5.0... ;)

> The Kolab server (Exchange Server replacement) is a standalone, not part =
of=20
> KDE proper, and is definitely high on the list for getting into ports, it=
 is=20
> however, still a work in progress, and I personally would prefer to wait=
=20
> until it's not quite such a moving target.  It's going to take quite some=
=20
> environment to test it, it's pretty hard to know if a groupware server is=
=20
> working right without setting up a workgroup and using it, so that takes=
=20
> time.  The client side groupware stuff is nearly there, sharing calendars=
 is=20
> perfect, and I can tell you that the the development versions for 3.2 are=
=20
> supporting imap, and disconnected imap, sieve, ldap, and much more.  You =
can=20
> read about all that stuff on KDE's own sites but it's really coming along=
=20
> amazingly nicely if you're in need of groupware stuff. =20

can i use the Exchange plugin without the Kolab server? my company uses MS
Exchange, as do most companies out there, sadly. I just need be able to get
the addressbook and calendar and request/accept meetings, etc... like what
Ximian Connector can do.

right now I got RH8 on my work machine, but Connector doesnt even work on
RH8, so I have to run Evo off another coworker's box to use it, and I still
havent been able to sync my palm coz it's a PITA to sync over ppp to a remo=
te
machine running linux/evolution/pilot-link/gnome-pilot... (not even sure if
that's possible actually). anyway, i highly prefer being able to just run
fbsd here, for some reason rh8 is slow as hell and i have to reboot at least
once a week. could be XFree86 with xinerama though, but rh8 is bloated
anyhow.

> Once KDE 3.1 is out the door, we'll turn the package building cluster bac=
k to=20
> doing CVS builds, and you're welcome to help test them, drop by the IRC=
=20
> channel or on the mailing list, or keep an eye on our website (in my sig.)

sounds good, I'll check those out this weekend! Thanks so much for your
reply!

--=20
andrew y ng  <ayn@andrewng.com>  http://andrewng.com
independent computer consultants http://aynassociates.com