Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:55:56 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Sean Heber <sean@bebits.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!  File systems stop or something!

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 02:45:28AM -0600, Sean Heber wrote:
[snip]
> Anyway, what the heck is the problem?  Any ideas at all?  A deadlock
>  case or
> race condition or something else?  Running out of allowed open files?
>  This
> worries me a lot.  I've had the box running fine for a couple weeks now
>  and
> the day before shipping it acts wacko.

It really sounds like a hardware problem to me. I was having SCSI
hardware errors a few weeks back, and I could get similar
problems. However, the SCSI system was rather verbose about the
problems and things would usually come back to life. More frequently,
I see similar symptoms when I have hard-mounted NFS failures. Still,
those eventually produce some messages but do not unhang.

My best guess is a hardware problem with HDDs, but I those ususally do
produce error massges (both IDE and SCSI). Possibly only mount
specific drives at a time and see if a specific volume is always
around when there is trouble?