Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:44:49 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster <freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Clustering with FreeBSD

Andy Sporner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is a different subject and I sort of hate threads that are misleading.
>
> So far it hasn't happened yet, but before it can.  :-)  The clustering that
> I am offering is *NOT* Beowulf-like.  It is more geared towards
> Internet Application HA.    In other words--server X dies, what should
> server Y and Z do to make sure that the stuff on server X does not have
> to wait for server X to recover.
>
> Somewhere else on my site I have a utility called FREP.  In my test
> area in my lab I have the two things integrated.
> There is in Linux-Land a thing called sometime like "Remote raw
> disk" (can't remember specifically what it is called) but it gives a
> local device node for a remote device on another machine.
>
> What FREP does (at the moment only in the lab) is to syncronize
> access to directories and replicate the changes done by the nodes.
> The idea is to be able to have a 2-3 nodes running mail servers with
> the spool directories replicated (locking is on the file basis).  A
> load balancer goes on the front and with this you have a scalabale
> Mail server that is fault resiliant.
>
> A lot of people in the academic community are worried about
> Beowulf and for correct reason, but there is an often neglected area
> which is where Micro$oft is winning in the moment and that is
> in the business end of the house.

Andy - this sounds really cool.  I've been looking for a solution like
this for some time.  I can't explain what a cool feature this would be
for FreeBSD.  This allows all kinds of incredible fault tolerant
systems, and for me, is essential.  Is this code ready for people to
play with?  Are you putting is under the BSDL or GPL?  More info!! :)

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.