Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:44:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF problems to occur

Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, John Birrell wrote:
> > FreeBSD/Alpha is now using a native kernel. I'm about to remove all the
> > NetBSD kludges from libc that provided the NetBSD syscall interface we've
> > used until now.
>
> If they're non-intrusive for native FreeBSD systems, why not leave them
> in.
>
> It would make bootstrapping another port from NetBSD that much easier.

That's true. I haven't asked for opinions, but I was working on the theory
that it is not difficult to do if and when it is required again and by
deleting the hacks now I would avoid the bit-rot that will occur.

The FreeBSD tree is now very close to being able to cross-build one
architecture on another architecture, subject to the availability of
cross tools, so the need to keep a NetBSD syscall interface seems
unnecessary. As it happens, building elf on and aout x86 system is
virtually a cross-build. There are a few bogons that are preventing a
true cross-build. I've been unsuccessful trying to convince someone
(who knows who he is) that this is achievable now as part of the
preparation for the switch to elf and the release of 3.0. I was expecting
that people would be prepared to concede some ground to allow this to
happen, but that doesn't seem to be happening. 8-(

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137