Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2020 10:39:59 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need a systemd

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

Pete Wright wrote:
>=20
> On 8/15/20 7:47 PM, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >=20
> > I'm looking for a superdaemon to start, monitor and restart (e.g. in
> > case of crash) other daemons like squid, syncthing and others.
> >=20
> > At first I wanted to place them into /etc/ttys but then I realized that
> > I need something more flexible like Linux' systemd or Solaris' SMF.
> >=20
> > What would you recommend for FreeBSD not as a total rc(8) replacement
> > but as a tool to manage some daemons?
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> daemon(8) is the way to go.=A0=20

>=20

I had the impression that daemon(8) was for programs which could not
daemonize on their own. It is thus useful for syncthing but not very
much for squid.

> it also integrates nicely with rc(8) and is part
> of the base system.

I'm aware that daemon(8) is used in rc.d scripts to start some
third-party software like consul and strongswan. However I would prefer
a single superdaemon that would watch all its children.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft