Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:06:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with tar

> /root, /bin, /sbin and the other root directorys are not restoring when
> tar -xvz is issued:(

Since these directorys didn't appear in the output from "tar xvz" then
the tape wasn't written correctly.  We'll look into that...

> Two objectives for the restore: test a disaster recovery scenario,
> expand partition sizes.

Hey, look!  Somebody actually tests this stuff!  <slap gold star on forehead>

> The following entry in crontab was used to backup on DDS3 DAT for a
> couple of weeks prior to using dd:
> 30	2	*	*	2-6	root	/usr/bin/tar -cvz /

Which crontab?  /etc/crontab?  (There are more in /var/cron/crontabs)

Also, I suggest for completeness that you always specify the "-f" flag to tar,
so that the device is clear to someone reading the file.  Trusting the
defaults, which might change one day, is nerve wracking.  Also, consider that
the restore may be done in a stressful situation.  The default (on my
system) is /dev/rsa0 which rewinds after close.

I also suggest that you always make tapes with relative paths (even though
our version of tar can treat absolute paths as relative).  Add "-C / ."
to the flags.

> The mail generated by the backup appeared good (although I am uncertain
> whether /root or the others were in the list).

Too bad you didn't save this.  Perhaps change the crontab entry to dump
this to a file.

> tar -tvz displays entries from: /dev, /stand, /etc. It does not show
> those mentioned above. In addition I installed WordPerfect 8 for Linux,
> which created a dir named /wpmacros. The directory definetly was listed
> in the mail results from cron. /wpmacros was not restored nor listed in
> -tvz.

Did the tape fill up during the write?
Do you get different results without the -z switches?

The first thing I suggest is making another tape (via the same procedure,
or by hand) and saving the output.  Then saving the "-xvf" output.  At
that point we can look to see what definately did or did not show up
on the tape.

Jon Doran