Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:18:40 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Hauke Fath <hf@Melog.DE>
Subject:   Re: filemarks?

At 11:51 pm -0800 20/12/99, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>[...]  Rodney
>has responded with the mail below. This is all archived in mailling
>lists... ]
>

>> The API has a perfectly acceptable and working mechanism to deal with
>> this.
>> [Rod's proposal]
>>
>> Whats wrong with this model?
>
>The user application cannot distinguish EARLY WARNING from hard EOT directly.
>You can put more data on tape after EARLY WARNING and before hard EOT.

I'm not sure you can, in general [because not all drives will give you
sufficient warning]. The best you can guarantee is that closing the device
at this point will leave the tape in a state where a subsequent reader
won't get confused.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK