Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:10:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding a.out shared libraries (was: Netscape no longer works with ELF system)

David O'Brien wrote:
> > The upgrade procedure will move aout X11R6 libs to /usr/X11R6/lib/aout.
>
> Then lets make it /usr/X11R6/lib/compat/aout.  We should be consistant
> everywhere.

Not if the aout libs are in /usr/X11R6/lib before the upgrade. They are
current libs, just in the old format. We move them to an aout sub-directory
to make room for the elf ones.

> > that /usr/lib/compat is for elf compatibility libraries. We want to have
> > aout things partitioned so that they can be pruned later. Get 'em out
> > of the way and go elf!
>
> I complained about this before, and will again.  compat/aout/ cannot be
> pruned since you've put the compat21 libs there.

When aout is no longer in use, it can be pruned. Once the executable format
is changed, and the old format dropped, what are you trying to keep
compatibility with? At some point you have to let go of the past.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137