Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:35:10 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Herbert <h.j.s@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xmradio?

Herbert wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a Haupauge WinTV Theater card and so far it works very fine...
> watching TV using fxtv and listening to radio with wmtune.
> But when I use xmradio, which I prefer because I don't use Windowmaker,
> I get some error messages:
>
>       Can't read bass value: Device not configured
>       Can't read treble value: Device not configured
>
> I have a soundblaster pci 128 (pcm, FreeBSD 4.3RC2) and sound does work
> without any problems. What's wrong here?

I don't think your card (or the driver at least) supports seperate bass
and
treble mixer settings.  I know the driver for my SB Live doesn't.  Those
messages are harmless, it just means the sliders will be stuck all the
way to the right for the bass and treble.

> OK, I have a 2nd question:
>
> Can I record the sound from the fm tuner of my TV-card? What programm do
> I have to use? And which device?

Recording sound with pcm can be troublesome.  xmradio completely loses
in
this regard.  I usually get extremely strange sounding clips (the audio
buffers appear to be mixed at random in the clip) when I try to record
with it.  You might just try setting the record source to line (or
perhaps
line1) and using your regular sound recording methods.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org