Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 16:51:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg2@adsl-63-201-55-220.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ex0: not multicast capable, IPv6 not enabled

Crist,

Thanks but....

> tcpdump(8) would be installed at,
>
>   /usr/sbin/tcpdump
>
> Sure it's not there?

Yes, even updated the locate db and looked again.

> It should be there. The card is being recognized in the boot sequence,
> right?

Yes, the original
ex0: unable to multicast, cannot use IPv6 message that this started with.
On the suggestion of trying tcpdump to nudge it along I found it was not
there.

> > Went to look around and found no pine and no emacs, I do not like vi.
>
> Neither is part of the FreeBSD distribution.

Yes, that is why I went to use pkg_add from the CDs.   As I have not net
connetivity best to start with a real editor in place.

> > Error message on pine is libssl.so.1 not found.
>
> Strange. A 4.0 install should have /usr/lib/libssl.so.1. Did you
> install the "secure" and "crypto" stuff?

No, during the install I specifically did not install the crypto stuff.
Did the most standard install possible.

I cannot imagine how I get only most of the libraries or why pkg_add pine
would not work.  Something is seriously hosed but hard to understand what
it might be.

Jeff