Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:09:11 -0400
From:      Bob Bomar <bob@fxp.org>
To:        Joseph Vella <satyam@sklinks.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are so many people using 4.x?

--TeJTyD9hb8KJN2Jy

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:34:11PM -0800, Joseph Vella wrote:
> I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any overwhelming r=
eason=20
> why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a server (j=
ust=20
> for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off using =
an=20
> older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular versions=
=20
> stand out?
>=20

I still run a 4.8 machine to monitor the UPS's for a server room.
Basically I have no reason to upgrade the machine, it is a Dell
Gsx or similar, P2 233, 64MB RAM.  It's been a great machine, just
chugging along without any problems.  It's on the internal LAN,=20
so I don't see any security problems, as myself and 2 other
people even know that the machine is there, what it does, or
even cares about it, and has access to the room that it is in.

[bob@bart] ~>uname -rsp
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
[bob@bart] ~>uptime
 4:05AM  up 940 days,  9:18, 1 user, load averages: 0.24, 0.28, 0.25

--=20
Bob Bomar
bob@ibsd.us

--TeJTyD9hb8KJN2Jy