Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:05:25 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Western Digital Caviar /dev/ad1s1e vs /dev/wd1s1e ?

Jon Loeliger (jdl@jdl.com) wrote:

> But still, this whole /dev/ad versus /dev/wd things lingers...
> I have a mix now...  The list of devices in /dev/MAKEDEV isn't,
> uh, clear here either.
>
> How concerned should I be?  Did I miss a step?  Is there some
> funky name correlation I missed somewhere?

You did miss a step, which is to read /usr/src/UPDATING. The relevant
sections follow:

19991210:
	The ata driver has become the primary ata/ide/atapi driver in
	the kernel.  The wd driver is obsolete.  You should upgrade your
	machine to the new ata driver.  You will need to follow the
	directions for updating the devices in the 19991205 entry.  You
	will need to update all occurances of wd to ad in your config files
	(/etc/rc.conf, /etc/fstab, etc).  A compatibility device exists
	for wd for the time being, but once you have determined that
	ata is working for you, transition to the new ad devices.

19991205:
	Block devices are going away.  You will need to update your /dev
	tree with a fresh copy of MAKEDEV for things to always work in
	the future.  fsck is unable to cope with dirty file systems
	after this change, so it may work for you or it may not.

	See "To rebuild disk /dev entries" at the end of the file.

	*** All uses of block devices must be converted to char devices.
	*** Likely the only thing impacted is dumpdev in /etc/rc.conf

	To rebuild disk /dev entries
	MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
	starting the following:

		For N in the list of disks
			MAKEDEV N			# eg ad0
			for M in the list of slices