Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:58:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two harddrive with same monut point

In article <37FE6A57.C5B99341@lvdi.net>, Frankie Li  <notme@lvdi.net> wrote:
:     I am wondering if there is anyway I could have
: 2 EIDE hard drive (both 4 GB) under the same
: /usr file system?  Many of my current setup for
: a server is based on their home dir, and changing
: them from /usr to something else could be a pain
: in the butt...

My own solution to this is to create a /home on the root and then
mount each partition separately. In /home, I have symbolic links
to the actual home directories, which might be /usr/home/* and
/usr2/home/*. If you have a lot of users, you would make /home a
symbolic link to /usr/home and for users not in /usr/home create a
second symbolic link. This avoids running out of inodes on the
root partition.

The main gotcha to this is that /bin/pwd will show the real path
to the home directory and this can be confusing at times. The main
advantage to this over vinum and such solutions is that you don't
have to dedicate the partitions. I also would think more than
twice about setting up /usr with vinum -- it's begging for trouble
if something goes wrong....