Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:59:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        gnn@wrs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3Com 3C589C combo PCMICIA.

George Neville-Neil writes:
> 	I'm now running FreeBSD on my WinBook (486DX/33 16M/340M) and it
>     has a PCMCIA ethernet card from 3Com.  My problem is that after a
>     while (say a few thousand packets) it hangs.

Hmm, I am not seeing that problem on my box, although it uses a 3C589B
(according to 3Com, the only difference is in the connector).

>  I can sometimes get
>     the interface back by ifconfig'ing it down and then up, but this is
>     not an optimal solution.  Sometimes when I ping from the machine to
>     the net in this situation I get a "sendto: no buffer space" or
>     similar message making me think that there's an mbuf leak somewhere
>     in the zp driver.  Any pointers?

AFAIK, there are no leaks that I've seen.  I've even been an NFS client
using my box and things don't seem to be a problem.

What settings did you use in the NVRAM w/regards to the baud rate and
such?  I'm not sure, but it may be possible that the card handles itself
differently with the settings.

Mine is setup for 'server/38400 baud' mode, whatever that means.

Nate