Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:47:23 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux on college radio show.

I'm wondering if we can get a transcript of this, since my net
connection is just terrible right now and i've taken about 12 minutes to
get the first 2 of the show.  If anyone knows of a transcript please
point me in the right direction.

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> Joseph Scott wrote:
> >
> >         As I'm sure many people will point out, the linux guy sure did
> > come down on FreeBSD pretty hard at times.
>
> At one point, he spent a good amount of time bashing BSD, and then
> said "that does not answer your question, ..." and then proceeded
> *not* to answer the question again!
>
> >         To the interviewer's credit I think he did an excellent job of not
> > falling into an OS bashing mode.  After hearing the linux guy I was
> > concerned that the interviewer was going to expect Jordan to answer these
> > issues that were brought up, to be put on the defensive.  However I don't
> > think he did, as far as the interviewer is concerned I think it was a very
> > fair interview.
>
> I was concerned that might happen too. Kudos for both interviewer
> and Jordan not to fall in this trap. The Linux guy kept trying to
> weasel out of the questions, while Jordan answered them
> straight-forward.
>
> >         If anything it made the guy from VA Linux look bad because out of
> > the three people ( Linux, FreeBSD, and the interviewer ), the linux guy
> > was the only one who spent large amounts of timing bashing.  ( Of course
> > NT bashing is open to all :-)
>
> I think that anyone not biased would end up seeing FreeBSD on a
> better light, for the sole reason that
> Jordan was more, err, likable. :-) But, then again, I'm biased. I'd
> really like to hear what unbiased people thought...
>
> Hey, can we slashdot this? Or was it slashdotted already? (And, if
> so, what's the link?)
>
> I have had things accepted to slashdot before, so I think I can
> _succesfully_ submit it. :-) Just send the link again if anyone is
> interested.
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org
>
>         "Would you like to go out with me?"
>         "I'd love to."
>         "Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
> next?"

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 1999 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved