Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 06:43:36 +0200
From:      "Chris Knipe" <savage@savage.za.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pppd / poptop

Lo all,

Very arb and weird problem... I've followed all the docs that google =
could
return (they all mostly the same in any case), and yeah...

My PPTP server *does* work.. As long as I don't terminate more than one
connection at a time to the server *shock horror*.  For some reason (and =
suspect I know why), ppp insist on only using one device for all the
incoming PPTP connections from poptop.  Obviously not right, and err, =
ja.. I
need to get this fixed... Very urgently as well.

My streamlined ppp.conf:
pptp:
  accept dns
  allow mode direct
  disable chap
  disable mschap
  disable mschapv2
  enable lqr
  enable pap
  set device localhost:pptp
  set dial
  set dns 192.168.1.1
  set ifaddr 192.168.1.1 10.255.255.1-10.255.255.254 255.255.255.255
  set log Connect
  set login
  set radius /etc/ppp/ppp.radius
  set server /tmp/loop "" 0177
  set timeout 0

Now, I suspect that it is only using one device (regardless of the =
number of
connections), due to the device (socket) specification.  But frankly, if =
don't specify it what device to use, it won't even be able to operate a
single pptp connection.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I need to get this resolved asap.  I
didn't send any logs from ppp.... PPP and the PPTP connections works =
100% -
even with Radius.  The problem is purely that PPP always uses the same
device, regardless of the amount of connections (ala tun0).  My kernel =
does
have allot of tunX devices, and ifconfig -a lists at least two =
available.
Still, ppp only uses the one.

I'm sad to say, but if I can't get this to work, I'm going to have to be
forced to scrap my BSD box for a W2K Adv server... *sigh*, at least =
their
RAS server works okish...

Thanks,
me