Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:00:08 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
To:        Pat Saunders <Pat.Saunders@vivista.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd not boot

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:21:43 -0000
Pat Saunders <Pat.Saunders@vivista.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to run freebsd 4.9 on a PC / IDE architecture.
> I have one IDE drive and two 3COM 3c90 Network Cards and CD-ROM
> The PC will be a dedicated FreeBSD box.
> I have installed freebsd v4.9 , using the whole 4G disk which is
> bootable and installed
> 'Standard MBR - no boot manager' and disabled all the drivers (SCSI)
> that I do not use.
> The problem is when I reboot nothing happens apart from another hard
> reset. The PC then does a Hard reset and the same recursive process
> occurs again. No, useful messages appear at all !!!
> I have created bootable floppies which I can boot from but I am not
> sure what to perform
> next , apart from re-install with different options which result in
> the same depressing results.
> I am not sure what to do regarding the 'Fixit' option as most shell
> commands do not
> work.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Pat

Well more info on the hardware would be useful...

How far does it get befor it reboots?

Given that you went throught removing all the scsi drivers, I am
guessing this means you made a custom kernel config, could you post
that too.

It sounds sorta like something important got removed from the kernel
or something...