Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:04:03 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "Windsor Match Plate and Tool Ltd." <wmptl@MNSi.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using sendmail as an SMTP gateway...

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 04:56:53PM -0500, Windsor Match Plate and Tool Ltd. wrote:
[snip]

> What we want to do, is connect the FreeBSD box to the internet, (our ISP
> will handle the DNS/MX record), as an email server. Allowing our office to
> recieve/send email. I've gotten the recieve portion to work, but get the
> error 'relaying not allowed' on the FreeBSD box when an internal windows'
> box tries to send email.
>     As I said above, I've not played around much with sendmail before, (yet
> it doesn't mean I'm afraid to), hence I'd like to know the simplest/shortest
> method by which to enable SMTP relaying, (our ISP is willing to allow use of
> it's SMTP server if we need it).

This was the first thing I did with FreeBSD at the office. It is not
too tough.

Go to /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf. Look at the README file and decide
which is the best relaying option for you (e.g. relay_entire_domain,
relay_hosts_only, relay_local_from, etc.). You will also probably want
your sendmail to masquerade, so look up how to do that. Follow the
instructions in that file on how to make your own .mc-file and then
convert that to a sendmail.cf.

Once that .cf-file is in place, you are ready to relay mail. Good
luck. Feel free to bounce more specific questions to the list, but you
might want to check the many sendmail resources at,

   http://www.sendmail.org

   comp.mail.sendmail

And the many others first.