Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:30:55 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:14:16AM +1030, Greg Lewis wrote:
> (c) I figured most of the issues would have been dealt with during the
>     Linux port of the JDK.
> (d) Its (currently) the only mainstream kernel-based thread interface for
>     FreeBSD.

The Linux stuff is pretty complicated and raw. The need for a kernel based
threading library (d ) is the most important point, because of the differences
explained to me by Dan (private mail) with how both the kernel and user
space threading deals with IO.

It's up to you, but the KSE effort might get you kernel threading within
the Posix Thread spec soon since Dan is monitoring this list.

> It sounds like the BSD/OS pthreads library is very similar to the current
> FreeBSD pthreads library, given Daniel's comments in a followup post.  So
> I think the bulk of your work is probably applicable to a FreeBSD port.
> That probably means there is no need to move the BSD/OS pthreads library
> over to FreeBSD.  Note that the 1.2.2 port also supports NetBSD and has
> started an attempt on OpenBSD too.  We definitely want to keep this support
> for 1.3, since it increases the volunteer pool (and the bulk of the port
> is the same).

Both port efforts would be practically unified if this happened.

You'd be able to sync up to my changes in less than a week (1 day ?) and
then you'd be headed to trying to get this stuff TCKed, since I got everything
to compile succesfully monday morning. ;-)

> I think that given your work and Daniel's post on a kernel based pthread
> implementation in the work that its a good idea to switch over to the
> FreeBSD pthreads interface.  I think this will be the best overall fit
> with everyones goals.
>
> All IMO of course :).

It's up to you. I can mail you the diffs against the February 23rd sources
and see if you like to use it. ;-)

> Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com

bill