Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 00:50:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave B <kevetss@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   buildworld/install world fail on 486DX

Hi, I tried to do a "make buildworld" and have had
trouble getting it to work on my 486. I also tried
building it with my PII350(which worked), with
CPUFLAG=i486 then with NFS copying over all of
/usr/src and doing a make installworld with no luck.

If anybody has any Ideas let me know. Or if anybody
has done a successful make buildworld with a 486,
maybe I could get your make.conf settings?

I have followed through the steps in the online
Freebsd handbook "19.4 Using make world" and am
getting some errors on my 486 DX4. This seems to work
fine on my PII350, and my Pentium Pro, and my Pentium
200 but not my 486.

Here are the last few lines that I get before it stops
in the make buildworld process

------------------snip-------------------------------
===> libfetch
cc -nostdinc -O -pipe -m486 -m486 -I. -DINET6
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -W -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Werror
-Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow  -c /usr/src/lib/libfetch/fetch.c -o fetch.o
cc -nostdinc -O -pipe -m486 -m486 -I. -DINET6
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -W -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Werror
-Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow  -c /usr/src/lib/libfetch/common.c -o
common.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/lib/libfetch/common.c: In function
`_fetch_putln':
/usr/src/lib/libfetch/common.c:343: warning: cast
discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/usr/src/lib/libfetch/common.c:345: warning: cast
discards qualifiers from pointer target type
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libfetch.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
-------------------------end make buildworld----------

Here is the make.conf file I used...

------------------/etc/make.conf--------------------
CPUTYPE= i486
KERNCONF= MY486DX
USA_RESIDENT= YES
WARNS_WERROR=  YES

# To avoid building various parts of the base system:
NO_BIND=       true    # do not build BIND
NO_FORTRAN=    true    # do not build g77 and related
libraries
NO_I4B=        true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_LPR=        true    # do not build lpr and related
programs
NO_X=          true    # do not compile in XWindows
support (e.g. doscmd)
NOGAMES=       true    # do not build games (games/
subdir)

DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1

WITHOUT_X11= true

here is #uname -a

FreeBSD poc.attbi.com 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE
#0: Mon Jan 28 14:31:56 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
 i386

thanks