Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 14:43:14 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hosts file question

> Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:00:46 -0700
> From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
>
> mikes> I found a new way to shoot myself in the foot:
> mikes> I assume that the entry in /etc/hosts of the form
>
> mikes> ::1		localhost.my.domain localhost
>
> mikes> is the IPv6 version of localhost.  If this is not correctly configured
> mikes> to the machine's local domain then the version of sendmail that comes
> mikes> with 4.6-PRERELEASE uses this name as the host name and, of course,
> mikes> nothing can be received or sent.
>
> Actually, only:
>
> ::1	localhost
>
> is required (or a running DNS server that can resolve localhost).

I'd like to clarify this.  In upgrading a 4.3-Stable box yesterday, I
noted that there seems to be conflicting info in the hosts file about
how to format the localhost entry.

Stranger yet, the syntax for regular entries seems to be reversed
from the localhost syntax. (ie the 'friendly name for localhost comes
first in the template, last for regular hostnames?)

This is how things were in 4.1:

# 127.0.0.1                     localhost.my.domain localhost

This is the template from 4.3:

# ::1                   localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
# 127.0.0.1             localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain

This is the template from 4.5/4.6-PR:

# ::1                   localhost localhost.my.domain
# 127.0.0.1             localhost localhost.my.domain
#
# Imaginary network.
#10.0.0.2               myname.my.domain myname
#10.0.0.3               myfriend.my.domain myfriend

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium