Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 05:10:45 +0300
From:      Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@cc.ece.ntua.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disk access

After adding a 40G ide disk(ad3) on my system, I 'ld like to devote some=20
extra space to FreeBSD (there is already a linux installation on the 40G=20
disk). However, after booting my -stable installation on the first=20
disk(ad0), I get the error message "excessive recursion in search for=20
slices" by the kernel on any attempt to access ad3 (mount a partition,=20
fdisk -s /dev/ad3, or even a read() on ad3).

Initially, I thought I had hit a bug in sys/kern/subr_diskmbr.c. Only, us=
ing=20
a userspace partition viewer (which understands the partition setup on ad=
3=20
when run under linux) I get simillar errors (ie infinite loop in the=20
partition handling code), which seem to stem from a read() returning sect=
or=20
0 (the mbr of ad3) at somepoint in following the extended partition table=
s=20
chain (do *not* consider this a fact, I could be wrong).

I therefore conclude that this is not a problem in the partition handling=
=20
code and given my lack of familiarity with the kernel I cannot even guess=
=20
at the cause. For what it's worth, ->d_secperunit in the in kernel=20
disklabel is the same as the number of sectors reported by the linux=20
kernel. I can only assume that this is some obvious misconfiguration on m=
y=20
part.