Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:04:48 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Niall James O'Higgins <njo@sig11.com>
Subject:   Re: XMMS Port Plays MP3 With Poor Quality?

6/20/2002 9:04:53 AM, Niall James O'Higgins <njo@sig11.com> wrote:

>> The sound
>> quality was staticy and crackley, not the clear sound I got from the
>> Windows machine.
>
>Have you tried playing say just a .WAV file with splay or something like
that?

>If you have and it plays clearly, it must be a down to the CPU load.
MP3s take considerably more CPU time to decode.

>If it sounds the same as the mp3, it could be a driver issue or a
hardware issue. Incorrectly setup sound cards under FreeBSD can
produce very weird results, for example just playing the first 10 seconds
of a track or something like that. The handbook has very good
instructions about how to install your card.

I've found sound cards under Unix (old BeOS experience and FreeBSD)
may be more sensitive to electrical interference than the same hardware
under Windows - I have no idea why.

The solution was to move my sound card as far from the more densely
populated part of the box's electronics as possible.  First I moved it to
PCI slot 5.  Upon installing a new motherboard FreeBSD hung on boot
while probing the card.  Figuring it might be an IRQ conflict, I moved the
card to PCI slot 4, which solved the hang without bringing back any
noise problems.

Jud