Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:03:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet entropy harvesting seriously pessimizes performance

:Matt,
:
:At it is very obvious to me that you have not even looked at the new
:code, let alone run it, I suggest that you do both before further
:engaging in this conversation.
:
:M
:--
:Mark Murray
:Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn

    I looked at it.  I'm sorry, I don't see how your adjustments make
    the code any better from an algorithmic point of view.  As far as I
    can tell, things can still run away and interrupts still have an
    unnecessarily large fixed overhead when they call the
    random_harvest_internal().

    I don't understand what is so difficult about simply rate-limiting
    the code at the proper point -- at the very beginning of the
    call that the interrupt harvester makes, removing most of the fixed
    overhead for the case where a system is getting a large number of
    interrupts per second?  Why are you going through loops to create
    complex, sensitive code paths when a simple solution can be plopped
    down and will work, SNAP, just like that?

							-Matt