Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.4 weirdness

I've loaded several 4.4. boxes so far. One of them is weird.

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Tue Sep 18 11:57:08 PDT 2001

Many common commands are failing with the error shown below. Even the
attempt to compile a new kernel resulted in this same error.

excalibur@flag:~> head anyfile
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc.so.4: Undefined symbol "__sseek"

excalibur@flag:~> passwd
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc.so.4: Undefined symbol "__sseek"

excalibur@flag:~> su
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc.so.4: Undefined symbol "__sseek"

The listings for this library and related files look identical to the
same libs on other 4.4 boxes. Same date, size, etc.

The only clue I could offer as to something strange being done to this box
is this: In preparing the box for service, I set up named with a zone for
the domain the box represents. So far so good (very normal exercise). I
tested the named setup by giving this command:

# host `hostname`

It returned the correct address. Everything was okay.

Then I did a weird thing. I issued this command (I was root at the time):

# host www.`hostname`

Please, don't ask me why I did such a looney thing; I don't know.

Anyway, my shell was immediately lost. No prompt. I came back in (we use
ssh2) and the login was accepted, but the shell - /bin/tcsh in all of
these examples - would not offer a prompt and kept dumping core.

We rebooted the box and I could log in again and run tcsh, but now we get
the errors shown. So, I cannot su, cannot do many common tasks and will
have to reload the box.

Since we are reloading and I will certainly not issue the silly command
that brought this on (or so it seems to have), I don't know that we are
looking for a resolution as much as offering a heads-up. Any ideas are
welcome, though. I'll be happy to run any suggested tests before we
actually get to the reload.

	Ralph