Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:36:51 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Gary writes:

> It doesn't have lots of useful stuff on it.

Neither does a GUI, unless you count icons, title bars, and frames with shading
and highlights and milky sparkling opalescence.

> It doesn't have the right one inch of the
> screen showing info on CPU, memory, or other
> info that can be displayed.

It doesn't have a clock to tell me what the clock next to the monitor is telling
me, either, nor does it have an animated cursor shaped like a sneaker-wearing
daemon.  It's also missing a cute doggie or R2 D2 clone that appears and gives
me answers to questions I haven't asked whenever I do anything that the
environment isn't expecting.

> It doesn't have a column of buttons in that
> one inch which show me most of my running
> applications and allow me to switch between them.

I usually don't run more than one application, but I suppose that's a drawback.

> It doesn't have a little map in that one
> inch which allows me to notice instantly which
> of several "desktops" I'm currently using and
> to switch between them.

That one inch sure seems to cover a lot of ground!

> Anthony, you are REALLY going to kick yourself
> when you learn to compromise in your Windows vs.
> Unix mentality and stop restricting yourself to
> ONLY a command line in FreeBSD.

I'm not restricting myself to a command line.  I just haven't seen a GUI thus
far that is worth the time and trouble.  Almost everything I do is text-based,
and I can just open multiple ssh sessions on my Windows machine if I want to do
several things at once.

> I think many are slicker than fvwm, and a few
> are simpler but I think it has a good balance of
> features and fairly decent documentation.

Okay, I'll try it.

I don't suppose there is any way of cleaning up the mess after installation of a
window manager, is there?  I still have a ton of .something files in my home
directory; I deleted everything that looked like it came with KDE, but I'm not
really sure if any other junk is still lurking around.  I don't see why twenty
different dotfiles are necessary for one product.