Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:30:20 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        "David Hedley" <david@inty.net>, <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ifpi2 problems

On Friday 28 December 2001 12:35, David Hedley wrote:

> Hmm, well this probably doesn't help, but we've been testing
> the v2 Fritz card using Gary's drivers for a while now and
> haven't hit any major problems like this (this is with 4.4 and
> i4b from -stable). The only problem we've seen is when we plug
> both a v1 fritz and a v2 fritz into the same box, where you
> get an instant kernel panic when the v2 fritz card tries to
> dial out. (panics in avma1pp_set_linktab, so may not be
> specific to v2 fritz).

Yeah, the panic is in the v. 1 driver. Really weird. I've never
seen this with the v.1 controller alone in a box.

Why doesn't anyone tell me about these things ? I just replaced
my old v. 1 card with the v. 2 card. I guess I could also plug
in the v.1 card and try them out together.

> > PS. are you sure that having a device name ending in a digit
> > is a good idea?  It gives very confusing effects if you
> > forget the quotes around the device "ifpi2"
> > line in the kernel config file, as well as the rather odd
> >   ifpi20: blah
> > messages on the console.
>
> I second this. I actually ended up renaming the driver
> entirely - I didn't realise you could put quotes around it to
> get it to work!

Well, I _did_ mention in a mail that this is necessary.
Unfortunately, I've already committed the driver in -current as
ifpi2 and don't think it'd be a good idea to import it under a
different name into -stable.

The "ifpi20" problem is easily fixed: in i4b_ifpi2_pci.c replace
the string "ifpi2" in the ``driver_t avma1pp2_pci_driver'' with
"ifpi2-". Yes, it's ugly, but what-the-hey.

--
Gary Jennejohn garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org