Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:43:47 +0200
From:      bsd@perimeter.co.za
To:        Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -Fa

Alex de Kruijff writes:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 01:29:40PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
>> The strange part is that on some of the servers the script works just
>> fine, and on others it runs, and emails me what looks like a job well
>> done, but the distfile has NOT been fetched.  When I then go to do the
>> actual upgrade, the distfile must first be fetched by portupgrade before
>> it proceeds to build.
>
> There could be any number of problems that may be the cause of this. I
> realy can't see that from here.  What you need to do is to do a check on
> every machine that doesn't work. I find it best to go from where the
> process begins and go all the way down to portupgrade. Try to find where
> it goes wrong. It could be that the crontab is wrong or that portupgrade
> isn't installed.

Alex,

thanks for your response.

I've tried what you say before I sent the email.  What confuses me is that
the script runs fine if I log in and run it at the CLI.  And it definitely
runs from cron, because I get the email I am expecting, which is the output
that would normally go to the terminal.

So, the crontab is evidently active, and portupgrade is correctly installed
and configured.

But the actual fetch of the file simply does not happen if it is run from
cron...  Yet, on other servers it all works fine...

?!?!?!?

Still confused.
Patrick.