Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:30:04 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        doug <doug@safeport.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kde

On Friday 07 June 2002 12:26 pm, doug wrote:
> Chapters 5.6 and 5.7 in the hand book will give you what you need.
>
> I use xdm rather than kdm if for no other reason than I use twm to install
> and/or work on kde. You can also start [xk]dm out of /usr/local/etc/rc.
> This has the advantage of being able to stop xdm.

The details in the Handbook cover an old version of kdm (it remarks that
things have changed in KDE 2.2, and we're now on KDE 3).

I've tried changing "off" to "on" on the appropriate line in /etc/ttys, but I
can't start either xdm with the default line nor kdm with
"/usr/local/bin/kdm" as the command.  In /var/log/xdm-errors I get

----
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found
----

I'm able to start kdm from the command line with no problems, so I don't see
why it should complain about a config file.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago