Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:43:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Carlo Dapor <carlo@vis.ethz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: Successful JDK 1.3.1 build with little modification

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 05:18:23PM +0200, Carlo Dapor wrote:
> Just wanted to let You know that I was able to build the JDK 1.3.1, without
> the weird setup I posted previously.
>
> That's right, not more INSANE or LINK.{c,cc} or the like.
> It turns out that just uncommenting '-z defs' in make/common/Defs-bsd.mk does
> all the magic for me.  Also, as Greg has mentioned earlier, the generation of
> invokers.c does not require any hack anymore.
>
> The lines around 240 in make/common/Defs-bsd.mk lok like this now:
>
> fneq ($(LIBRARY),JdbcOdbc)
> ifneq ($(ARCH),ppc)
> LDFLAGS_COMMON  = #-z defs
> endif # LIBRARY
> endif # ARCH
>
> Is my Current shaky, or is anyone else having similar symptoms on Current ?

Well, whatever the reason, I've just completely pulled these lines from
Defs-bsd.gmk.

> PS:  The man pages for gcc mention that '-z defs' is meant to silence warnings
>      of unresolved symbols if switched on.  But there seems to be more to it,
>      both system gcc (2.95.1) and most recent gcc (3.0) have the exact same
>      behaviour for me when building the JDK.

Hmmm, I think the man pages may be out of date.  This is an ld flag rather
than a gcc flag, so gcc version isn't relevant.  The info documents on 4.3
(binutils 2.10.1) say:

`-z KEYWORD'
     This option is ignored for Solaris compatibility.

So, it should have effectively been a no-op on FreeBSD.  Whether it is or
isn't, since the documentation I have says it has no effect I've gotten
rid of it :).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887