Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:29:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keeper of the mail <mailman@wagsky.com>
To:        Eric Kozowski <eric@haydenisland.verio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems w/ Megahertz 56k modem pc card

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Eric Kozowski wrote:

> i have a 3com/megahertz 3ccm556 modem card i'm trying to get working under
> 2.2.8 + PAO.  I've checked irqs and memory addreses and made sure they
> match.  the modem works fine on the same laptop under win98.
[...]
Looks like you need the proper entry in /etc/pccard.conf

for my 3CCM156BI, I use

card "3COM" "3CCM156 B"
	config 0x21 "sio1" 11
	insert echo 3COM 3CCM156 B inserted
	remove echo 3COM 3CCM156 B removed

the "guru meditation numbers" are 0x21 and 11
                        config index^   IRQ^

look at the output of "pccardc dumpcis" to try to select the
proper one. It looks like gibberish, but you should see
	Config index = 0xmm
		I/O address # 1: block start - 0xnnn"
with 0xnnn the familiar addresses of COM1-4 and
0xmm being the "proper" config.  You may need to look at the
"default" configuration to determine which IRQs are available.

You should also look at dmesg.boot to determine
which IRQs are still under FreeBSD.  Remember that pcic chews
up one itself.  Can't configure that one directly through the
boot flags, but the new boot loader will do it for you ;-)

Jeff