Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:25:05 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        Carlton Brown <carlton@sierra.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, so I'm doing something stupid...

On 29 Dec 95 at 16:35, Carlton Brown wrote:

> Ok, I'm trying to get my FreeBSD machine to accept dialup, and I've
> gotten the modem to pick up the line.  My DTR light is on, and I
> can't seem to get my FreeBSD server to respond to the call.  Is
> there something I still need to do, to tell FreeBSD to look for
> incoming calls once the modem picks them up?  Maybe this is some
> kind of network configuration?  I do have a terminal (Windows
> Telnet) on the local area network, that FreeBSD seems to accept
> connections from, just fine...  Help!  I must be doing something
> incredibly stupid!
>
> carlton@sierra.net

There's a couple of other things you need to do.

Firstly configure the dialup port, and secondly get a getty running
on the dialup port.

To configure the dialup ( I'll assume it's sio0 that you're using)

in your /etc/rc.local put a line like

stty -f /dev/ttyid0 crtscts 115200

to configure the serial line. Don't use 115200 unless you have a v34
modem & 16550 UARTs, use something slower, 19200 or 38400. Then you
neet to add the getty line to /etc/ttys

ttyd0	"/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" ansi on secure

lastly edit your /etc/gettytab to have an entry like
std.115200|115200-baud:\
	:np:sp#115200:

You can just copy the 9600 baud entry & put in the correct speed.

One little hint, ttyid0 is the device you use to configure ttyd0,
similarly for dialout devices, cuaia0 is for cuaa0.

I'm no unix guru, but my system works, so I hope you can get yours
going.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS. ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432