Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 03:25:03 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Greg writes:

> The first thing you need to do is fix that problem.
> You *must* know what sources you have.

How do I find out?

> The FreeBSD approach is always to update the
> system in sync; any other approach often causes
> more problems than it solves.

Okay, but how do I know that updating the system will have any effect at all on
the unidentified cause of the mysterious reboot that I observed?

> You shouldn't install updates which haven't
> been tested with your system.  How do you know
> they will even compile?

I don't.  Have I installed any updates?  I changed an option in the kernal once
and rebuilt it; did that change everything else??

> If you want to use this fix, you must install
> -CURRENT.  In this case, that's probably not
> appropriate, which is why I suggested contacting sos.

At present, I have no reason to believe that the mysterious reboot is in any way
related to the problem covered by this fix, so installing it would not make
sense.

> Well, as the commit log stated, the update works
> around a design bug in the IDE controller.

I currently have no reason to believe or disbelieve that the IDE controller or
any bug associated with it caused the mysterious reboot.  Unfortunately, the
mysterious reboot left virtually no evidence of its passing, beyond the top
screen shot that I was fortuitously able to salvage (because I had top running
during the night on one login at the time of the boot).