Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:42:08 -0600
From:      "Arie Trouw" <a_trouw@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with cuaa4

Hey,

Thankyou in advance for any help.

I just recently switched from Slackware to FreeBSD 4.2, and i quickly
recompiled my kernel to get my soundcard working and include tun support for
my PCMCIA modem.

Pccard detects my modem and installs it as sio4.  I discovered the device to
be /dev/cuaa4  I can use 'cu -l cuaa4 -s 38400 and talk to my modem.  Then i
tried configuring user-ppp.  I set up /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and everything was
ok, but when i try to dial nothing happens. It is like the chat script is
not sent to my modem at all.  I tried several of the chat script examples
but nothing.  In the config file 'set device /dev/cuaa4' was there.  Then i
tried mannually dialing, using term and that worked beautifully.  I cannot
figure out why the script doesn't work?  The only thing syslog says is that
the chat script failed.  For now i can manually dial, but i would like to
use the background feature and that requires that the ppp.conf file works.
Another thing i noticed is that kppp can only go to cuaa3, I don't know if
this is related?  Can you only use cuaa0-3?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Arie Trouw