Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:09:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        gaylord@gaylord.async.vt.edu (Clark Gaylord)
Cc:        randy@psg.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

> hence we can justify even discussing it here ;-), if it can be
> argued that it *cannot* break anything.  We are not proposing a
> change to syslog.conf; we are talking about a looser definition of
> syslog.conf that would permit syslogd to read space delimited files.
> This could encourage a particular user to use spaces and hence
> break something else that they have independently done, but that
> is clearly outside the scope of our concern.  The only system use
> of syslog.conf is (can we rigorously confirm this?) syslogd.  The
> criterion then is:  is it possible to construct a syslog.conf that
> works with the existing syslogd, yet would break with the proposed
> change?  The usual case to consider is if there are spaces in the
> filenames.  If this won't break, there may be no debate.  Given
> that this may break, do we consider it a relevant case, or do we
> tell people "if you are stupid enough to put spaces in your file
> names, you deserve what you get"?  I can think of no other way that
> this change could break existing systems; if so, we are down to
> debating this point.
>
> Clark
> --

Clark,

1. The way I suggested the patch would not get syslogd confused
about the filenames containing spaces, since the file names appear
only in the second field.

2. (Irrelevant to the discussion comment (because of 1.)
There are cases when people have files with paces in them
(if those are Mac or Win* - users), but I have never seen anybody
having any log-file to have spaces in it.

IgoR