Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:55:00 +0000
From:      Saint Aardvark the Carpeted <aardvark@saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com>
To:        bert01 <bert-vde@pandora.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about freebsd install

bert01 disturbed my sleep to write:
> I'm installing freebsd 5.0 from the boot discs... Everything goed fine, but my network card 's driver is not attached, now I have a disc with my network card and on that disc there's a map "freebsd" in that map There are 3 files:
> IF_FET.C
> if_fetreg.h
> readme.txt
> -> they are attached to this email
> Now how can I make my ethernet work so I can install freebsd with ftp?

The instructions are fairly straightforward, with a couple changes that
you need to watch for (I think -- someone let me know if I'm wrong).

However, before I go on to do that -- what model and make of ethernet
card do you have?  I'd be surprised if FreeBSD didn't have drivers for
it already.

> Installation:
>
>   1. copy the source codes if_fet.c and if_fetreg.h to /sys/pci directory,

This should actually be /usr/src/sys/pci.  You'll need to do this (and
all the other steps) as root.

>         #cp if_fet.c /sys/pci
>         #cp if_fetreg.h /sys/pci
>
>   2. modify /sys/conf/files, add the following line

Add this line to /usr/src/sys/conf/files (take out the ">" at the
beginning):

>         pci/if_fet.c     optional       fet      device-driver

>   3. modify /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, add the following line

Add this line to the file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.

>         device  fet0
>
>   4. compile the kernel,

These instructions are pretty straightforward.

(Note that these steps will build a generic kernel, with lots of stuff
that you may not need.  It'll almost certainly run without problems, but
the usual thing is to trim it down to just the stuff you need.  Check
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-custom-kernel.html
for details.)

>         #cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>         #cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
>         #/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
>         #cd /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL
>         #make depend
>         #make
>         #make install
>
>   5. reboot the system,
>
>         #reboot
>
>   6. bind your card to an IP address

Here, you would replace "${IPADDR}", "${BROADCAST}" and "${NETMASK}"
with the appropriate values, so that it would look something like this:

	ifconfig fet0 10.0.0.1 broadcast 10.0.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

>         #ifconfig fet0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}

>   7. now, you should be able to ping local network.

Hope this helps,
Hugh
--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted