Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:43:02 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Don Lewis:
> > I hadn't heard this.  I don't know why that would be true.
>
> I remember people getting panics when running noatime with SU. I've got a
> few myself (although they were more unstable than now).

I thought it was async that was causing the problems.  One of the main
problems was that softupdates was doing a 'write everything' FSYNC vnode op
and expecting all modified data to be written out.  The async mount option
"broke" the semantics of fsync() so that it didn't really wait until
everything was on disk, so softupdate's sanity checks caught it.  I think
I saw somebody (Bruce?) change the semantics of VOP_FSYNC() back again.

Cheers,
-Peter