Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 13:09:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI RAID Controller...

Since there is an interest in performance solutions on this list, and
because somebody had mentioned the Compaq(??) EISA RAID controller a while
back, I was fascinated when I ran across the following:

(from  http://www.adaptec.com/sales/AHA3985Features.html)
(snip)----------------------------------------------------------------
Adaptec AHAŽ-3985 PCI RAID Adapter

Delivers high performance through innovative multiprocessing RAID architecture
Provides three independent SCSI I/O channels
Supports multiple RAID levels 5, 1, 0, 0/1

The unit looks a little pricey ($750ish) but that's not entirely out of line
for a 3-channel controller, considering the 3940's around $400.

Does anybody have any further information about this?  (is anybody looking
to write a device driver for it???)

All FreeBSD needs now is a PrestoServe type solution (the one advantage of
the Compaq controller) ... I can just see it now.  Pentium, of Borg,
materializes, saying "Sun is Irrelevant", holding a FreeBSD 2.2 CDROM and
a FreebieServe Cache Accelerator card  :-)

... Joe