Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:46:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is this box so slow?

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, at 06:02 [=GMT-0700], Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> * Marc Schneiders (marc@schneiders.org) [020830 05:54]:
> > I am running FreeBSD 4 stable on a Pentium II 300 with sufficient RAM,
> > I think. Nevertheless certain things are very, very slow. A buildworld
> > takes days. Also opening a large (18 MB file) with vi doesn't work out
> > for ages. (I am now waiting 5 minutes and still nothing to edit...)
>
> When did this problem begin? What circumstances surrounded it? Had you made
> any changes at the time?

I put it together :-) I had doubts from the very beginning, but there
was some hurry/pressure, so I moved it to the colo facility.

> > Another thing that is very slow is fsck after the machine crashed.
> > Hours. Harddisks are reported to run as UDMA-33. So?
> >
> > What can be the problem? Dmesg below.
> >
> > Machine is collocated, so, please, no suggestions to take RAM out etc.
> > Thanks!
>
>   My first educated guess would be to verify that the CPU cache is enabled in
> the BIOS. When disabled, the machine will display exactly the behavior you're
> describing. This will, of course, require somebody be able to look at the
> BIOS. Explore other alternatives, but my money's on this one. Solutions
> shouldn't be ruled out simply because they cause us hassle. =)

Thanks for the good news :-) It is not that far away from me, and
changing a bios setting is no problem, really. I just cannot try all
sorts of things, because they will not let me spend days in this high
security place (and there is no coffee).

So this is really it? This explains also why pine is slow, mhonarc?
And it fits in with network connection NOT being slow (just 3MB/s
for a large backup file)?