Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:40:23 -0700
From:      Brian Zill <bzill@microsoft.com>
To:        "'f.johan.beisser'" <jan@caustic.org>, Brad Huntting <huntting@hunkular.glarp.com>
Cc:        snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Subject:   RE: 6over4 for KAME (FreeBSD)

6to4 and 6over4, while having unfortunately similar names, are quite
different things.

6to4 is a form of automatic IPv6 tunneling over IPv4.  The IPv4 address of
the "home" end of the tunnel is encoded into the IPv6 prefix.  See
draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-07.txt.

6over4 is another IPv6 over "foo", where "foo" in this case is a
multicast-enabled IPv4 network, instead of say Ethernet or FDDI.  See RFC
2529.

My recollection is that an implementation of 6over4 for some BSD flavor
exists, since I recall someone performing some interoperability testing
between our implementation and that implementation.  UCLA sounds familiar.
Aren't two interoperating implementations a requirement for Proposed
Standard? (RFC 2529 is at PS) I'm not aware of any others offhand, but it
wouldn't surprise me if there were some.

--Brian