Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 00:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mystery of the X11 Panic...

I guess 2.2.1 hates my system.

After endless ahc problems, here is the latest (this might have shown up as
an ahc problem?):

Running 2.2.1-970415 and later, shortly after starting X11, while clicking
the mouse on an icon in xfmail, xfm, or, sometimes, just because the system
will crash, freeze, die mercilessly.  No particular pattern :-(

Well, the good news is that the good old 2.2-BETA_A does not suffer from
these problems.  the better news is that I managed to catch this panic
while X11 was running:

Fatal trap 12 - Page fault while in kernel mode. in virtual address
0xf71e0014.  Tracing back shows that bash (?!) was the culprit, causing it
after calling _Xsyscall -> _syscall -> _vm_open -> _spec_open.

Things go south at _spec_open + 0x6e, complaining about cmpl $0,0(%eax).

Now, I am a pretty good shell programmer, but never lerned how to panic a
kernel with running a program on one :-)

There is no explicit bash call on my part, to trigger the fault, but much
of the X11 activity forks and exec's all over the place.  But you know that
already...

Anyway, any help will be appreciated...!  I must stabilize this kernel!!!

Thanx, simon