Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:14:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: zombies from linux binaries

Lars Eggert wrote:
> > >I've been running the guidescope web ad blocker
> > >(http://www.guidescope.com/home/) as a Linux binary under FreeBSD for a
> > >long time. The thing seems to fork a child for each web request it
> > proxies.
> > >
> > >Under -current, it seems that the child processes become zombies, and
> > >the proxy stops working once 1024 or so accumulate. The zombies don't go
> > >away when parent process finishes, they stick around until reboot.
> >
> > Is this http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=42457 related? It
> > is for stable but I belive that the same behaviour is present in -current
> > and it may manifest itself differently.
>
> I have finally applied your patch from the PR, but unfortunately it does
> not fix the problem with guidescope I am seeing. Looks like something
> else is broken WRT Linux forking:

Linux has the SVR4 behaviour in that, if SIGCHLD is not caught,
zombies are reaped automatically, without the parent needing to
explicitly reap their exit status.

Most likely, they are installing a signal handler of SIG_IGN for
SIGCHLD, and expecting the standard behaviour for auto-reaping.

-- Terry