Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:46:38 -0400
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        Tim <strato@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Not an easy install

Tim wrote:
> Why couldn't you guys make a install easy instead of this and that, ok
> I am a newbie and it should be easy, I have installed Ubuntu, it was
> like a dream, smooth as silk, Fedora pretty much the same FreeBSD, its
> a nitemare if you have never done it, I am now reloading windows and
> then putting back Ubuntu, unless someone over there can make it simple
> even for me.
>

> Tim Stevens

Hi Tim,

I've been using FreeBSD for a few months now after an absence of about
10 years.  Believe me when I say it's way easier now and pretty much just as
easy if not easier as an initial install of say, Solaris(tm) or many
Linux(tm)
 distros which vary widely in how "easy" they are to install.

So anyway,  hopefully you are installing the latest released
version of FreeBSD intended for general use, FreeBSD 6.0.

Here are the two most important things you can do!

1)Be open to learning something new and forget your expectations.
    There is a learning curve but it is not that bad.

2) Read the FreeBSD Handbook!

    I can't stress this enough.  Don't try  reading it from
    start to finish; just read the chapters on installing the
    system and basic setup.  Personally I always enjoy reading the
    introduction and I probably read the installation chapter,
    Chapter 2, six or more times.   Here is the URI
    for the Handbook, assuming you want the English edition.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Now many on this list may disagree with me but I have always found that
choosing
the Custom instalaltion (even though it says it's for experts) has been
the easiest
and most likely to succeed method of installation for me.

The installation chapter will help you with choosing your disk layout.
My one issue
is the recoomended size of some of the partitions.  If you can spare the
space I'd go with about 1GB for
/, /tmp, and 2 GB for /var.  This should let you get started without
"complications".
They aren't the exact values recommended in the Handbook, if I recall
correctly, bu they
work for me.  Oh yes, set your swap to 2 time your amount of RAM (I am
assuming you
have a modern system, more or less, with at least 256MB of RAM).

After you partition and label your hard drive choose your distribution set.
I recommend choosing All under distributions.  As well, when prompted
as to whether or not you want the Ports infrastructure, say yes.  It will
be worth it when (if) you really start using FreeBSD.

Choose your media.  CD works well and so does FTP. DHCP configuration
of the network works well for me.  I always use passive FTP for my installs
because I am behind a firewall.

If you keep and open frame of mind, ask for help on a specific issue,
and provide
details about your system and what you are trying to do you will receive
a lot
of help.  No one likes being told that something they invest a lot of
time in sucks
by someone who does not use the system.  Please remember that  everyone
here is a volunteer.

If and when you get the base system up and running ask for help to get a GUI
running and how to get different applications running and you will
probably receive
what you ask for.  *** Always Read The Handbook First ***

For what it is worth FreeBSD 6 is the only operating system on my computer.
It didn't start off that way but for philosophical reasons that's the
way it is now.
I'd be more than happy to expound those reasons off-list to anyone who would
care, but then everyone has their own reasons.

These are my opinions.  Your mileage may vary, use at your own risk,
etc., etc.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

--Duane Whitty