Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:54:40 +1000
From:      Terry Allen <hmag@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD problem

>Terry Allen wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>         I bought a copy of the FreeBSD 4.3 installation CD from
>> www.everythinglinux.com.au last week & tried to install it this afternoon
>> (I'm brand new to the world of installing UNIX, so please bear with me.
>>         I set the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD (which it did), went
>> through the installation up until it asked me to choose a media to install
>> from.
>>         The install from CD ROM option was outlined , so I hit enter, but
>> the installer replied that the CD could not be found. I looked through the
>> installation CD info files on my Mac, but couldn't find anything to help,
>> so I wonder if anyone might be able to help out.
>>         The PC details are as follows
>>
>> Motherboard: Slot1 / Socket 370 M741LMRT (includes onboard 10/100 ethernet
>> & V90 56K Modem)
>> CPU: Intel Celeron 533
>> RAM: 128MB
>> Hard drive: Seagate 20GB
>> Monitor: LG Studioworks 55V 15"
>> SCSI Card: Tekram DC-315/U PCI
>> CD ROM: 44X speed
>
>You don't mention the make/model of mobo. Is the CD-ROM attached to the
>SCSI bus or IDE?
>The hardware may simply be not compatible with FreeBSD. This can be
>confusing until you understand that the BIOS boots the system, but once
>it's running it's FreeBSD that needs to access the CD-ROM. Two things
>you can do:
>1. Get the make/model of the CD-ROM & mobo and compare to the hardware
>compat list @ www.freebsd.org
>2. Watch the boot messages and see if your CD-ROM is detected.
>If it's not detected, you may be out of luck until you replace some
>hardware. If you have an IDE CD-ROM now, you may find better luck with a
>SCSI CD-ROM.
>
>Good luck,
>Bill

Hi again,
	Sorry for the confusion in my original post. The Motherboard is a
PC100 make & the CD ROM is attached to the IDE bus & the make/model from
the top of the drive is - Top-G / BCD E522A
	I'll pick up an IDE cable tomorrow & make it the master on the
secondary bus.

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd
	c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
	The Entrance
	NSW    2261
	Australia

Internet -
	WWW:
	http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au