Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:20:10 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xircom RealPort not working on ThinkPad A22m  (includes working patch)

Hi all,

I plugged my RealPort card into my brand new IBM ThinkPad a few days ago
and found that it was not working. I knew it worked on my old notebook with
an older release of FreeBSD so I went digging.

At first I thought the fact that my PCMCIA controller doesn't like 0xd0000
as base address was the culprit, but read on.

It turned out that the xe driver was having trouble reading the CIS tuples.
But 'pccardc dumpcis' showed the right stuff. So I looked at how xe was
reading them. The answer is through bus_alloc_resource and bus_alloc_read.
This makes me suspect that this method is either faulty in the current
RELENG_4 or that it does not work with pccardmem settings other than 0xd0000.

Looking at the ed driver I found that that doesn't use bus_ stuff at all,
but read()s from the /dev/card* devices. So I implemented that in the xe
driver and 'lo behold, it works!

I also added a few debugging messages along the way, and made the xe driver
aware of the bootverbose option.

The patch is available at: http://www.bsdchicks.com/xe.patch

PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=35466

Greets,

	Doc

P.S.: I'm not subscribed to to -mobile so include me in CCs there.
P.P.S.: I'm having a few people who mailed -questions try the patch too.