Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:40:14 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Yatin Patil <yatin.patil@windriver.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager configuration

Yatin Patil <yatin.patil@windriver.com> types:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to configure the boot manager that installed with
> FreeBSD (4.3 RELEASE). My system has Windows2000 and FreeBSD on it.
> The boot manager works just fine but it is apparently not able to
> recognize the NTFS partition. The boot manager displays
>
> F1: ??
> F2: FreeBSD
>
> I'd like to do two things -
>
>    1. Change ?? to Windows2000

You'll need to fix the boot0 program - sources are in
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s - to recognize the NTFS partition
type and print the string you want.

>    2. Increase (or disable) the timeout before it boots the OS you
>       booted previously.

Use the -t option of the boot0cfg command to do that. See the man page
for more information.

Alternatively, you could install a more general boot manager that lets
you configure names for different boot sequences. I personally use
GRUB, but there are a number of others available.

	<mike