Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 18:58:21 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound - setting sample rates for /dev/dspW?

Hi,

I've just installed a sound card in my FreeBSD box (wow, what luxury!) - but
I need to know how I can set the sample-rate that the /dev/dspW device uses?

I assume that /dev/dspW is 'wide' - i.e. 16 bits? - I have a sound file I'd
like to play, cat'ing it to /dev/audio gives me horrible garbage, cat'ing it
to >/dev/dspW does play it but very, very sssllloowwwlllyyy... So I'm
guessing the device doesn't use the 44.1Khz I need?

I've looked through the freebsd FAQ etc. - and did a quick search of the
mailing lists, but I couldn't find anything :(

The soundcard is a SoundBlaster16...

Thanks in advance,

Karl Pielorz